Shri Umasvami (Umasvati)
to the Lord, the promulgator of the path to liberation, the
destroyer of mountains ( large heaps) of karmas and the knower of
the whole reality, so that I may realize these qualities.
1. Right faith, right
knowledge, and right conduct (together) constitute the path to liberation.
2. Belief in substances ascertained as they are is right faith.
by acquisition of knowledge.
4. (The) soul, (the)
gradual dissociation and liberation constitute reality.
name, representation, substance (potentiality) and actual state.
6. Knowledge (of the seven categories) is attained by means of pramana and naya.
7. (Knowledge of
the seven categories
by description, owner-
cause, resting place (substratum), duration and division.
8. (The seven categories
also by existence, number (enumeration),
place or abode, extent of space (pervasion), time,
of time, thought-activity, and reciprocal comparison.
is of five kinds –
clairvoyance, telepathy and omniscience.
10. These (five kinds of
pramäna (valid -
11. The first two (kinds of knowledge) are indirect (knowledge).
12. The remaining three constitute direct (knowledge).
13. Sensory cognition, remembrance,
recognition, induction and
14. That is caused by the senses and the mind.
15. (The four divisions of sensory knowledge
judgment and retention.
16. (The subdivision of each of these are) more,
unexpressed, lasting and their opposites.