logo jaindharmonline.com

Home>  Pilgrimage>>

Champapur Jain temples

Location:

  Shri Champapur Digamber Jain Siddha Kshetra is located at  village Nathnagar, District Bhagalpur Bihar. By road it is 3.5 km away from Bhagalpur, 270 Km. Patna and 280 Km. fom sammed Shikarji. Buses are available from Patna, Lakhi Saraya, Munger etc. It is directly connected by train from Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Surat, Patna, Gaya, Ilahabad etc. The nearby airports are at Bhagalpur, Ranch and Patna.

Shri Champapur Digamber Jain Siddha Kshetra is an Siddha Kshetra (Place of Salvation). It  is quite an ancient and historic Teerth Kshetra. Champapur is the only ‘Panch Kalyanaka Kshetra’ in the world which is related to Panch Kalyanaka: - “(i) Garbha, (ii) Janma, (iii) Tapa, (iv) Gyan and (v) Moksha” of 12th Teerthankara Bhagwan Vasupujya (The first ascetic saint).

The ancient Champapur was the capital of ‘Anga Janpada’. The Anga Janpada was one of the 52 Janpadas established by Adi Teerthankara Bhagwan Rishabh Deo. Champapur also existed as Maha Janpada among the six Maha Janpadas during the time of Bhagwan Mahavira Swami. This place is famous because of its relation to the following :

“The three Chaturmasa period of Bhagwan Mahavira Swami during his Dikshakal, Religious propagation centre of Anga-Banga-Magadh-Vaishali, Test of modesty of Sati Subhadra and Anantmati, Aahardan to Bhagwan Mahavira Swami by Sati Chandan Bala”.
        Tirthankara

Champapur is also related to great stories of ‘origin of Harivansha, Shripal-Mainasundari, Shri Dharma Ghosh Muni, King Karna of Mahabharata, King Mudrak and great architect Vishvakarma’.Champapur and  arrival of ‘Samavsharan’ of all 24 Teerthankaras. 
  The Reddish Diamond colored Padmasana idol of 1008 Bhagwan Shri Vasupujya seated on the principal altar of main temple is quite attractive and beautiful, provides peace to the mind & soul of the devotees. The desires of devotees get fulfilled when they offer their prayers devotionally & with pure heart.

The main temple of Champapur Siddha Kshetra is quite ancient (about 2500 years). This temple being symbolic of ‘Panch Kalyanaka’ is adorned with 5 altars, magnificent spire and 2 columns of fame. It is said that there were 4 ‘Columns of Fame (Keerti Stambha)’ which existed in four corners of the campus of the temple. Later on the 2 out of 4 were destroyed in the earthquake of year 1934 & repair (Jirnoddhar) of other 2 columns was done in 1938. The ‘Columns of Fame’ are about 2200 years ancient.

The red colored Padmasana idol of Bhagwan Vasupujya Swami present in centre of main altar is quite attractive and miraculous. Another idol of Bhagwan Vasupoojya is made of ‘Ashtadhatu’ (Alloy of eight metals) & the ancient foot images of Bhagwan Vasupoojya are also installed in this altar. The principal deity of Bhagwan Vasupoojya is also constructed along with other artistic idols which are present around the main altar. There is ‘Ashta -Pratiharya’ created in an artful specimen of glass present in this temple that is marvelous.

The entrance gate of this temple is made in the style of Hawamahal of Jaipur (the Pink City), is great, attractive & artistic. One ancient ‘northoriented Adinath Jinalaya’ is also present in southern campus near the main temple. One ‘Kushan periodic’ Khadgasana idol of Bhagwan Adinath is also installed here which is 2000 years ancient. These are many more ancient idols present in this temple. In this temple only the images of 24 Teerthankaras are present on one marble collectively and this looks marvelous & unique.

The 61 feet high magnificent ‘Column of Dignity’ stands here and it is one of the huge columns of dignity present in Eastern India. The four Jin idols present in apex part in all four sides of column, the four idols are established respectively in four altars present in middle part of column. Around these four altars all the 16 dreams are carved on marble which respected mother of Teerthankar saw before conceiving a child.

‘Tonks’ of 24 Teerthankaras are constructed around three sides of this column of dignity. The first among these ‘Tonks’, temple of Bhagwan Bahubali is quite attractive. At the end of these 24 ‘Tonks’, foot images of ‘Ganadhar Mandar’ are present. Shri Mandar was the first Ganadhar of Bhagwan Vasupujya.

      Champapur Jain temple

Bhagwan Shantinath Mandir with 9.25 feet high magnificent idol and Bhagwan Mahavira Swami Mandir with 7.25 feet high magnificent idol are also present in this campus. The one mirror decorated artistic temple is also present here in which 7.25 feet high ‘Khadagasan’ idol of Bhagwan Parshvanath surmounted by ‘7 Serpent Hoods’ is installed.

The one ‘Samavsharan Mandir’ which idol of principal deity Bhagwan Simandhar is installed, is worth being seen.One magnificent ‘Jal Mandir’ is also constructed here, in which 16 feet high idol of Bhagwan Vasupujya is installed on big lotus flower.

The local community organizes festival on the ‘Kalyanka’ days of ‘Garbha, Janma, Tapa, Gyan & Moksha’ e.g. ‘Asharh Krishna – 6, Falgun Krishna – 14, Falgun Krishna – 14, Bhadrapada Krishna – 2 & Bhadrapada Shukla – 14.

Mangement Committee
Shri Bengal, Bihar, Orissa Digamber Jain Teerth Kshetra Committee
Kolkata (West Bengal)

Shri Champapur Digamber Jain Siddha Kshetra 
Address :-Beespanthi Kothi, Nathu Nagar, District Bhagalpur (Bihar) 
Pin-812 006.
Phone: -0641-2500241

                                                                                                                           

  

                                            Copyright ã 2004, jaindharmonline.com All Rights Reserved