logo jaindharmonline.com

Home>  Pilgrimage>>

Dilwara Jain Temples mount Abu

  Location

  Dilwara Jain Temples are situated in Dilwara village  3 Kms. from Mount Abu. Dilwara Temples are the world famous Jain temples take the name of Dilwara an adjoining village situated at at a height of 4000 feet on a hill of Mount Abu. Mount Abu is the famous and beautiful hill station of Rajasthan.

 Dilwara Jain temples

  Dilwara Jain  temples built by Chalukya between the 11th and 13th centuries AD are world famous and constructed entirely  of white marble. These are domed shrines with pillared halls.

  As Cousense remarks " the  amount of beautiful ornamental detail spread over these temples in the minutely carved decoration of ceiling , pillars,  doorways, panels and niches is simply marvelous; the crisp, thin translucent, shell like treatment of the marble surpasses anything seen elsewhere, and some of the designs are veritable dreams of beauty. The Dilwara temples are a composite cluster of 5 temples. Each of these five temples are  with its own unique identity. These five legendary marble temples of Dilwara are a sacred pilgrimage place of the Jains. Each is named after the small village in which it is located. These are:

   1. Vimal Vasahi (Shri Adi Nathji temple) dedicated to the first Jain Tirthankar lord Rishabh.
 2. Luna Vasahi (Shri Neminathji temple) dedicated to the 22nd Jain Tirthankar lord Neminatha. 
 3. Pithalhar (Shri Rishabha Devji temple)  dedicated to the first Jain Tirthankar lord Rishabh 
 4. Khartar Vasahi (Shri Parshva Nathji temple) dedicated to the 23rd Jain Tirthankar lord Parshva. 
 5. Mahavir Swami (Shri Mahavir Swamiji temple) dedicated to the 23rd Jain Tirthankar lord Parshva. 

       Dilwara Jain temples

 The Dilwara temples are a composite cluster of 5 temples

      Dilwara Jain temple

  All these shrines belong to different centuries. The first two are build wholly of white marble, they have got exuberant carvings and ornamentation work on the walls, doors, pillars, mandaps, torans, ceilings etc.. The designs depict life stories of Jain Tirthankars, scenes of Gods and   Goddesses and  great men from Jain and great Hindu   mythology. The most famous of these are the Vimal Vasahi and Luna Vasahi temples.

   Vimal Vasahi (Shri Adi Nathji temple)

 Vimal Vasahi Temple was built in 1021 by Vimal Shah, the minister and commander in chief of Bhima Dev I, Solanki ruler of Gujarat. Vimal  Shah was remorseful and spent the rest of his life in religious discourse at Chandravati (near Abu road); inspired by Jain Acharaya, to wash out his sins perpetrated in the battle fields, with the blessings of tutelary deity Ambika, constructed this temple.

  It took 1500 artisans and 1200 laborers a time span of 14 years to build this brilliant piece of architecture. The whole shrine covers an area of 140 ft. long and 90 ft. broad. As we enter the temple we get a glimpse of the grandeur of sculptured marble, exquisite carvings of ceilings, domes, pillars and arches of the temple which is beyond anyone's expectations. It has a sanctum, a Gudha Mandap, Navchowki, Rang Mandap and a circumambulatory corridor having 57 cells. In each cell , image of one or the other Jain Tirthankar is installed. In front of every cell, double carved roofs are screened by double arcade of pillars. Cell numbers are marked and the name of the idol installed in it is also written.

   Postal stamp of Jain temple

  Indian Postal Department has issued a stamps on World famous Jain Temples of  DILWARA on 14th Oct. 2009. This multicolored stamps depicts images of the Temples along with the unique architectures of the Temples.

  Luna Vasahi (Shri Nemi Nathji temple):

 The Luna Vashi temple is dedicated to the 22nd Jain Tirthankara Shri Neminathji. This magnificent temple was built in 1230 by two Porwad brothers - Vastupal and Tejpal - both ministers of a Virdhaval, the Vaghela ruler of Gujarat. The temple built in memory of their late brother Luna was designed after the Vimal Vashi temple. The main hall or Rang mandap features a central dome from which hangs a big ornamental pendent featuring elaborate carving. Arranged in a circular band are 72 figures of Tirthankars in sitting posture and just below this band are 360 small figures of Jain monks in another circular band. The Hathishala or elephant cell features 10 beautiful marble elephants neatly polished and realistically modelled.

  Rang Mandap:  A grand Hall supported by 12 decorated pillars and nicely carved out arches with a central dome in the most exquisite design. You can also see designs with heavy ornamentation work. On the pillars are placed the female figures playing musical instruments and 16 Vidhyadevis - the goddesses of knowledge - each one having her own symbol.
  Navchowki:  It comprises of the nine rectangular ceilings, each one containing beautiful carvings of different designs supported on the ornate pillars.

  Hastishala ( (Elephant Cell):  Hastishala was&n bsp; constructed by Prithvipal, a decedent of Vimal Shah in 1147-49 A.D. In the front entrance statue of Vimal Shah originally carved in marble is seen, the statute was mutilated and was repaired by plaster. A Smavasaran, circular in shape, is also noteworthy. 

  
 Google Map

View Larger Map

                                                                                                        

  

                     Copyright 2004, jaindharmonline.com All Rights Reserved