Home>Pilgrimage >>

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Osian  Jain Temples
    

Location:  Osian also Osia or Osyan or Shri Osiyaji Tirth  is on the Jodhpur - Jaisalmer railway line at a distance of one kilometer from the temple. Osian is a small town known for its temples. Though a small village now, but Osian was once a large and prosperous city and an important  pilgrimage centre between the 8th and 9th centuries. The Mahavira temple of Osian, is situated on the western edge of the town. The main deity is nearly 32 inches high, Golden colored idol of Bhagawan Mahavira Swami in the Padmasana posture. The Mahavira temple at Osian was built, according to an inscription, in the last  quarter of the eighth century, at a time prior to the bigger intrusions of Muslim forces, in the course of which many temples were reduced to rubble. 

 

In ancient times, it was known by many names. The inscription states that king Utpaldev built this temple and Acharya Ratnapradhasurishvarji installed the idol. In the ‘Osian Vir Stavan’ composed by Sri Nayapramod, the disciple of him Udaya in the year 1712 the Vikram era, it is stated that this idol was installed by King Samprati. After lying in the hollow of the earth for centuries, when Uhad, the king’s advisor, settled. The city, Acharya Ratnapradhasurishvarji blessed this land by putting his foot steps on it. It is said that this temple was renovated and the idol was installed in it in the year 1017 of the Vikram era. It was renovated again and again from time to time. There is a Dadawadi on the hill in the village; there are charan of Acharya Ratnaprabhaji Surisvarji. There is also a temple of Sachaiamata at a distance of one kilometer. This is a tirth of religion as a well as tirth of from the viewpoint of art and sculpture.  
  There are 15 brahminical temples and shrines, and a cluster of Jain temples, all built during the Gurjara Pratihara dynasty between the 8th and the 12th centuries: testimony to the significance of religion in the life of its people for 400 years. One group of 11 temples belonging to the early phase (8th-9th centuries), lies within and on the outskirts of the present-day village. The other group belonging to the 11th and 12th centuries is located on a hill overlooking the village. Though small, these temples are beautifully built and richly sculpted.the country to study its rich architectural skill. 

                                                                                                 

 [Jain Dharma ] [ Tirthankara ] [ Great Jain Acharya ] [ Jain Literature ] [ Jain Pilgrimage ] [ Ahimsa ]  [Jain Arts & Architectures ] [Jain Festivals ] [ Railways ] [ Airways ] [ Weather ] [ Contact Us ] [Advertise With Us] [ About Us ] [ Disclaimer ]

                      Site copyright ã 2004, jaindharmonline.com All Rights Reserved               

                                         Best viewed at 800 x 600 screen size